For a complete list of MIA/POW from the State of Michigan, please click here http://www.gmasw.com/mimiapow.htm


M.I.A. Sgt Douglas Vincent Dailey

Douglas Vincent Dailey

Senior Master Sergeant/US Air Force

606th Special Operations Squadron,
56th Special Operations Wing
Nakhon Phanom, Thailand

Date of Birth:
30 June 1936

Home of Record:
Waterford, MI

Date of Loss:
13 December 1968

Country of Loss:

Loss Coordinates:
170100N 1055900E (XD055824)
Click coordinates to view  (4)  maps

Status in 1973:
Missing In Action


C123K “Provider”

Other Personnel in Incident:
Thomas M. Turner (rescued); Morgan J. Donahue; John S. Albright; Joseph P. Fanning; Samuel F. Walker, Jr.; and Fred L. Clarke (all missing);

SYNOPSIS:   Though it had been declared obsolete in 1956, the Fairchild C123 Provider, which was a converted WWII glider, became one of the mainstays of tactical airlift in the Vietnam War. In 1962 the Provider was fitted with special equipment to spray defoliants. Later, it was modified with a pair of J-85 jet engines which increased its payload carrying capability by nearly one third. The first of these modified C123s arrived at Tan Son Nhut on 25 April 1967, and this venerable old aircraft proved to be among the hardest working aircraft throughout Southeast Asia. The C123K differed from other C123 models in that it had the addition of auxiliary turbojet engines mounted in underwing pods. While this addition did little to increase the speed of the “Provider”, it added greater power for quicker climbing on takeoff, and power for maintaining altitude.
On 13 December 1968, 1st Lt. Thomas M. Turner, pilot; 1st Lt. Joseph P. Fanning, co-pilot; 1st Lt. John S. Albright, II, navigator; 1st Lt. Morgan J. Donahue, navigator; then SSgt. Douglas V. Dailey, flight engineer; TSgt. Fred L. Clarke, loadmaster and SSgt. Samuel F. Walker, Jr., loadmaster; comprised the crew of a C123K aircraft, call sign “Candlestick 44.” Their night Forward Air Control (FAC) mission was to guide several B57B bombers onto a convoy of enemy trucks traveling along Routes 911 and 912. These routes were cut through the rugged jungle covered mountains approximately 2 miles north of the demilitarized zone (DMZ), 14 miles northwest of Ban Namm, 18 miles southwest of Ban Loboy, 35 miles northwest of Muang Xepon and 26 miles southwest of the Lao/North Vietnamese border, Savannakhet Province, Laos. Additional data places the loss approximately 47 kilometers northwest of Xepon, 3 kilometers east of Ban Kok Nak and Route 411, and 1 kilometer southeast of Ban Pa Dong.
This area of eastern Laos was considered a major artery of the infamous Ho Chi Minh Trail. When North Vietnam began to increase its military strength in South Vietnam, NVA and Viet Cong troops again intruded on neutral Laos for sanctuary, as the Viet Minh had done during the war with the French some years before. This border road was used by the Communists to transport weapons, supplies and troops from North Vietnam into South Vietnam, and was frequently no more than a path cut through the jungle covered mountains. US forces used all assets available to them to stop this flow of men and supplies from moving south into the war zone.





Name: Gerald Allan Holman
Rank/Branch: O2/US Navy
Unit: Carrier Air Early Warning Squadron 12, Detachment 42, USS FRANKLIN D.
Date of Birth: 10 October 1939
Home City of Record: Northville MI
Date of Loss: 14 December 1966
Country of Loss: South Vietnam/Over Water
Loss Coordinates: (none)
Status (in 1973): Killed/Body Not Recovered
Category: 5
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: E1B
Refno: 0548

Other Personnel In Incident: Edwin Koenig; Richard Mowrey (missing); 2 other
crewmen who were rescued.

Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 01 April 1990 from one or more of
the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence
with POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W.


SYNOPSIS: The USS FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT was to end its second tour of
Vietnam to leave the battle area by Christmas, 1966. On board was the
carrier’s early warning squadron of four aircraft, for which LTJG Gerald A.
Holman was administrative officer. On December 14, Holman was launched from
the carrier as the pilot of an E1B propeller-driven warning plane carrying a
crew of five. The “Willie Fudd” departed on a routine mission, when one of
the engines failed. Holman was forced to ditch into the South China Sea.

Two of the crewmembers survived the crash and were subsequently rescued.
Holman, LTCDR Edwin L. Koenig, and LTJG Richard L. Mowrey were not found.
The three were listed as Killed/Body Not Recovered.



Name: Bruce Edward Boltze
Rank/Branch: W2/US Marine Corps
Unit: SU1, 1 Anglico
Date of Birth: 31 January 1938
Home City of Record: Flint MI
Date of Loss: 06 October 1972
Country of Loss: South Vietnam/Over Water
Loss Coordinates: 161357N 1080958E (AT971966)
Status (in 1973): Body Not Recovered
Category: 5
Acft/Vehicle/Ground: OV10A
Refno: 1933
Other Personnel In Incident: Carl O. McCormick (missing)

Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 15 June 1990 from one or more of
the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence
with POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W.
SYNOPSIS: All tactical strike aircraft operating in Southeast Asia had to be
under the control of a Forward Air Control (FAC), who was intimately
familiar with the locale, the populous, and the tactical situation. The FAC
would find the target, order up U.S. fighter/bombers from an airborne
command and control center or ground based station, mark the target
accurately with white phosphorus (Willy Pete) rockets, and control the
operation throughout the time the planes remained on station. After the
fighters had departed, the FAC stayed over the target to make a bomb damage
assessment (BDA).
The OV10 Bronco was among the aircraft most feared by the Viet Cong and NVA
forces, because whenever the Bronco appeared overhead, an air strike seemed
certain to follow. Although the glassed-in cabin could become uncomfortably
warm, it provided splendid visibility. The two-man crew had armor protection
and could use machine guns and bombs to attack, as well as rockets to mark
targets for fighter bombers. This versatility enabled the plane to fly armed
reconnaissance missions, in addition to serving as vehicle for forward air
Air Force LTC Carl O. McCormick was the pilot and CWO Bruce E. Boltze the
spotter in an OV10A Bronco helping to direct Naval gunfire near the city of
Da Nang, Republic of Vietnam on October 6, 1972.
During the operation, the aircraft was seen to explode (cause unknown) and
to fall into the South China Sea where it disintegrated upon impact. A
quantity of debris was recovered, along with partial human remains, but the
remains could not be identified as either McCormick or Boltze.




Home of Record: Barberton, Ohio
Date of birth: Thursday, 08/17/1933

Service: Coast Guard (Regular)
Grade at loss: O3
Rank: LT
ID No: 68068148
MOS: 1310 Unrestricted Line Officer (Pilot)
LenSvc: Between 10 and 11 years
Unit: 37TH ARRS, 7TH AF

Start Tour: Not recorded
Incident Date: Sunday, 06/09/1968
Cas Date: Sunday, 06/09/1968
Age at Loss: 34
Remains: Body Not Recovered
Repatriated: Friday, 02/14/2003
Identified: Thursday, 09/11/2003
Location: Quang Tri, South Vietnam
Type: Hostile, Died
Reason: Air Loss, Crash – Land – Helicopter – Pilot

ON THE WALL Panel 58W Line 014

It is well known that US Coast Guard patrol boats and high endurance cutters operated offshore during the Vietnam War. The fact that 12 USCG pilots flew with the US Air Force during 1967-68 is less well known. These officers were on exchange duty and flew both helicopters and fixed wing aircraft.

U.S. Coast Guard Historical Reference:

Jack Rittichier
Lieutenant Jack Rittichier was one of the first three Coast Guard exchange
pilots to fly combat search and rescue missions with the Air Force’s
37th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron in the Republic of Vietnam
during the Vietnam conflict. Within three weeks of his arrival in
Vietnam he demonstrated his courage above and beyond the call of duty.
Flying through heavy enemy fire to save four Army fliers, he earned the
Distinguished Flying Cross. A couple of weeks later, under the faint light
of illumination flares, he pulled nine men from the side of a mountain,
five of whom were badly wounded.

On 9 June 1968, 37 miles west of Hue, a downed Marine Corps fighter pilot
lay on the ground with a broken arm and leg. To his further misfortune he
had parachuted into a North Vietnamese Army bivouac area. The enemy used him
for bait to lure rescue helicopters within killing range. Air strikes
pounded the site around the survivor. The first helicopter made three
attempts to reach the Marine before breaking off to refuel. Lieutenant
Rittichier dived his aircraft in for the pickup. Heavy fire, however, drove
him away. He swung around to let the gunships sweep the terrain and then,
followed them back into the area. As he hovered over the pilot, bullets
punched his aircraft and set it afire. He tried to pull away, but his
aircraft would not respond. The helicopter settled to the ground and
exploded. Within 30 seconds a ball of fire consumed the aircraft. Lieutenant
Rittichier lost his life in nobly trying to save that of another.

While the Air Force carries Rittichier on its rolls as “Missing in Action,” the Coast
Guard lists him as “Killed in Action, Body Not Recovered.”



M.I.A. Sergeant 1st. Class MICHAEL JOHN WALLACE

Name: Michael John Wallace
Rank/Branch: E5/US Army
Unit: B Company, 228th Aviation Battalion (Assault Support Helicopter), 11th
Aviation Group, 1st Cavalry Division
Date of Birth: 21 November 1939
Home City of Record: Ann Arbor MI
Date of Loss: 19 April 1968
Country of Loss: South Vietnam
Loss Coordinates: 161918N 1070923E (YD291087)
Status (in 1973): Missing In Action
Category: 4
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: CH47A

ON THE WALL Panel 51E Line 002

Refno: 1135
Source: Compiled from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S.
Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families,
published sources, interviews. Updated by the P.O.W. NETWORK in 2002.
Additional information: http://www.virtualwall.org/dw/WallaceMJ01a.htm
Other Personnel In Incident: Anthony F. Housh; (missing from CH47,
coordinates YD291087-LZ Tiger; pilot, co-pilot and gunner survived); Douglas
R. Blodgett; William Dennis; Jesus Gonzales (missing from CH47A, coordinates
YD290105; pilot and co-pilot survived); Arthur J. Lord; Charles W. Millard;
Philip R. Shafer; Michael R. Werdehoff (missing on CH54, coordinates
YD255095-LZ Tiger)

SYNOPSIS: The first day of Operation Lam Son 216.
On April 19, 1968 three Army helicopters were shot down in the A
Shau Valley of South Vietnam. All three were making supply runs to Landing
Zone Tiger in Quang Tri Province. Five men survived the three crashes, and
nine men remain missing.

The CH47A on which Douglas Blodgett was a crewman, William Dennis was flight
engineer, and Jesus Gonzales was crewchief was resupplying ammunition at the
LZ when it received small arms fire from the ground and crashed. The pilot
and co-pilot were able to crawl away, but the rest of the crew was never

They were declared Missing In Action.

The CH47 on which Anthony Housh was flight engineer and Michael Wallace was
crewchief was hit by 50 calibre and 37 mm ground fire on its approach to the
LZ. Housh and Wallace jumped from the aircraft from an altitude of 50-100
feet above the jungle canopy. The others were rescued. No trace of Housh and
Wallace was ever found.

The CH54 “Flying Crane” on which Arthur Lord was aircraft commander, Charles
Millard pilot, Arthur J. Lord co-pilot, Michael Werdehoff flight engineer,
and Philip Shafer crewchief was carrying a bulldozer into the recently
resecured LZ Tiger when the aircraft was hit and crashed.

All the crew was classified Missing In Action.

Thorough searches for the 3 helicopters were not immediately possible
because of the enemy situation. A refugee later reported that he had found
the wreckage of two U.S. helicopters, one with 3 sets of skeletal remains,
in Quang Tri Province.

The U.S. Army believes this could correlate with any
of the three helicopters lost on April 19, 1968, but no firm evidence has
been secured that would reveal the fate of the nine missing servicemen.
Some 250,000 interviews and “millions of documents” have been analyzed
relating to Americans who may still be alive, captive, in Southeast Asia.
Many experts believe there are hundreds of men still alive, waiting for
their country to rescue them. Whether any of the nine missing from near LZ
Tiger is among them is unknown, but it is clearly past time for us to bring
our men home.